Public Transportation Services & Plans
Use this page to learn more about three regional bus routes serving Apex and the Town’s effort to launch the first local bus route. Any questions regarding transit service in Apex should be referred to Jenna Shouse (email Jenna Shouse) or phone at (919) 372-7509.
GoApex Route 1
The Town’s long range transportation plan, Advance Apex: The 2045 Plan, identifies a priority route for a local bus (circulator) along NC 55 between Beaver Creek Commons and Walmart. The Town of Apex, in partnership with the Town of Cary, has completed an implementation study for this primary route, called "GoApex Route 1". The study includes recommendations for: bus schedule, frequency, fare, stop locations, paratransit, and potential service agreements. The Town of Apex was awarded funding through the Wake Transit Plan to complete this work. The Town of Apex Transit Circulator Study with final recommendations is available. Report findings have already been used to inform successful funding applications and the Town’s Capital Improvement Plan.
GoCary Holly Springs Express (HSX)
The Holly Springs Express (HSX) is a peak-period express route that will connect Holly Springs and Apex to regional transportation services at the Cary Depot. Final route and stop locations are subject to change.
- Anticipated Start Date: Eary 2020
- Hours of Operation: Mornings 6:00 AM - 9:00 AM, Afternoons (approx.) 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
- Frequency: One bus per hour in each direction
- Destinations Served: Holly Springs Towne Center, Holly Springs Village District, Holly Springs Walmart, Apex Walmart, Compare Foods Park-and-Ride, Downtown Apex, Downtown Cary
- Connecting Transit Services: GoTriangle Routes 300,301,305, and 311. GoCary Routes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
GoTriangle Route 311 Apex-Regional Transit Center
- Days of Operation: Monday - Friday
- Hours of Operation: Mornings (approx.) 5:45 AM - 9:15 AM, Afternoons (approx.) 3:30 PM - 7:00 PM
- Frequency: Approximately 30-minute
- Destinations Served: Compare Foods Park-and-Ride, Lake Pine Plaza Park-and-Ride, Research Triangle Park, GoTriangle Regional Transit Center
Anticipated Service Changes in Fiscal Year 2020:
- Decreased weekday peak-period service
- Serve an enhanced transfer center in Downtown Apex
- Remove service to Lake Pine Plaza Park-and-Ride
- Route 305 will be extended to connect to Route 311
Find more information on GoTriange Route 311 visit
GoTriangle Route 305 Apex-Cary-Raleigh
- Days of Operation: Monday - Friday
- Hours of Operation: Mornings (approx.) 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM, Afternoons (approx.) 4:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Destinations Served: Lake Pine Plaza Park-and-Ride, Waverly Place Park-and-Ride, NC State University, downtown Raleigh at GoRaleigh Station
Anticipated Service Changes in Fiscal Year 2021:
- Extend service to an enhanced transfer center in Downtown Apex
- 30-minute service during peak periods
- 60-minute service during the midday
- Extended service in the evening
- All day 60-minute service on weekends
Find more information on GoTriangle Route 305 visit
GoWake Access – Van Reservation Service
GoWake Access is a reservation-based van service operated by Wake County. Rides are available to residents of Wake County who reside outside of urbanized areas, have a disability, are 60 or older, are Veterans, or need work-related transportation.
For trip information and reservations visit Wake Human Services or call (919) 212-7005.
Wake County Transit Plan
In 2016 a 10-year vision for enhanced transit across Wake County, the Wake Transit Plan, was adopted. The Wake Transit Plan includes four big moves that will benefit the Town of Apex and the region:
- Big Move 1: Connect Regionally
- Commuter rail from Garner to Durham with stations in Raleigh, Cary and Morrisville
- GoTriangle Express Bus service between Raleigh, RDU Airport, RTP, and Chapel Hill
- Big Move 2: Connect all Wake Communities
- Service to all 12 municipalities in Wake County
- Includes all-day hourly bus service from Apex to Raleigh
- Includes an hourly connection available during mornings and evenings from Holly Springs through Apex to Cary and RTP
- Big Move 3: Frequent, Reliable, Urban Mobility
- Bus Rapid Transit in Raleigh and Cary along New Bern Avenue, Capital Boulevard, South Wilmington Street, and Western Boulevard
- 15-minute, all-day bus service on high-demand routes in Raleigh and Cary
- Big Move 4: Enhance Access to Transit
- Community Funding Areas, like Apex, are eligible to receive matching funding to provide local service
- Additional funding for GoWake Access
- Investment in better stops, shelters, and access to stop facilities
The Town of Apex is actively participating in the implementation of the Wake County Transit Plan:
- The Town of Apex provides a voting member to serve on the Transit Planning Advisory Committee (TPAC), the technical team charged with implementing the Wake Transit Plan.
- A citizen advisory committee, the Town of Apex Transit Committee, will serve as a liaison between TPAC and the community, and will help to guide the future of transit in Apex by making recommendations regarding transit service to the Town’s Planning Board and Town Council.
- Updates to the Town’s Transit Plan Map were made through the adoption of Advance Apex: The 2045 Transportation Plan
- The Western Wake Comprehensive Operations Analysis was prepared by the Town of Cary in partnership with the Town of Apex and the Town of Morrisville. The purpose of this analysis was to identify potential transit ridership in the three towns and assess strengths and opportunities of transit service in western Wake County.
Town of Apex Transit Advisory Committee
Transit Advisory Committee Meeting
The purposes of this committee, composed of citizens and Town staff, are to:
- Make recommendations related to transit needs and services in Apex
- Learn about opportunities for transit associated with the Wake Transit Plan
- Inform the update of the Transit Plan elements of the Town’s Comprehensive Transportation Plan
- Identify stakeholders of transit services and share information
Committee members include:
- Linda Barrett (citizen)
- Laura Brain (citizen)
- Nick Bryant (citizen)
- Amanda Bunce (staff)
- Joanna Helms (staff)
- Kurt Pfeifer (citizen)
- Angela Reincke (staff)
- Stuart Wagner (citizen)
- Andrew Werking (citizen)