A "Fire Watch" is required whenever, for any reason, any component of the system is disabled and no redundant device exists in the effected zone, or when system notification to the central monitoring station is disrupted. In all cases, only the minimum possible number of devices or zones shall be disabled. Only those zones directly affected by construction shall be disabled.
The following steps are involved in completing the Fire Watch inspection process:
- Building personnel must notify the Fire Department Communications Center at (919) 362-8661 and the building’s alarm system monitoring company to report the condition, extent, and expected duration of alarm disruption.
- Enter the date, time, and names of persons spoken with on the Fire Watch Checklist (PDF).
- There will be 1 trained building representative must remain in close proximity of the alarm panel at all times while the system is "off line" to the central monitoring station and the Fire Department.
- Each affected floor must be patrolled once every 30 minutes during the fire watch period and patrols documented on the fire watch checklist. In the event the entire system is taken off line, all floors and areas of the building must be patrolled hourly.
- When the system is restored, complete the fire watch checklist, ensuring all system functions are restored.
- Notify the Fire Department Communications Center at (919) 362-8661 and building’s alarm monitoring company to report the system back online.
- Enter the date, time, and names of persons spoken with on the fire watch checklist.
- File the fire watch checklist in the appropriate log book.